2005 Lexus ES 330

  • Base

    $32,175

Wondering which trim is right for you?

Our 2005 Lexus ES 330 trim comparison will help you decide.

2005 Lexus ES 330 review: Our expert's take


As a new mother, I just don't feel as sexy, classy, or sophisticated as I use to. In the past, I dressed for the occasion. I find that the transition from always wearing the latest fashions to just trying to match the spit up rag is, needles to say, difficult. Like most moms out there, I have to constantly change clothes because I have "something" all over me.

I digress; where was I? Oh yes, back to the sweet sophistication of "the car." As I walk up to the 2005 Lexus ES330, I begin to feel very classy and sophisticated – you know, like those Calgon commercials when all the troubles of the day just melt away. This ES330 really stands out to me saying "Hello? Yes, you there, momma – take me for a spin!" Yeah, something like that.

When I open the door to slide in, I find the perforated leather very nice, coupled with the wood grain interior. As my hands grip the steering wheel; oooh, wood grain surrounded by leather. Nice touch!

At that moment, I know what I have to do. I need to take the ES330 out on the town for some grocery getting and errand running. Once my husband "Latches" in the baby seat base, I cautiously place her in the car seat, and gently set her in the back seat. My husband notes that the baby seat base is rather simple to place in the back of the ES330, and there is still plenty of room to maneuver around.

Once in the car and loaded up with my water bottle, I place myself in the lap of luxury. Oops, as I place my very standardized water bottle in the cup holder, I noticed there is no way the bottle is going to stay put.

Coping with the water bottle debacle is tragic enough, or so I think. As every mom knows, one must have room to store "stuff." What kind of stuff? You know your stuff. Typically, stuff can be stored in the console between the driver and passenger seat. However, in the ES330, the CD changer takes up most of the room in where my stuff is to go.

I turn the ignition, listen to the engine rev, put the ES330 in drive and zoom off for my first errand. What a smooth ride! I usually dread going over the potholes, and let me tell you, there are plenty to complain about, but this car feels somewhat like floating on air. Smoothness factor? So smooth in fact that my daughter is sleeping within a quarter-mile. Very impressive!

Now, I am not one to read manuals in full detail. I would much rather push the different buttons to see what they will do (ask my husband, I just love pushing buttons). There is this one button by the gearshift that I keep pushing to see what it does. Nothing. I finally look in the rearview mirror and catch a glance of a sunshade going up and down. Soon, this becomes my favorite feature, or my daughter's favorite feature, as we all know how much babies love to have sun in their eyes.

After the first errand is complete, I decide to play with the navigation and voice-activated system. I love that when I touch the screen, it gives me the name of the business located there. It also shows me where all of the gas stations are, which is convenient for those of us who wait till the last minute to fill up. I won't mention any names, of course.

Being that Mother Proof's "global headquarters" is in Colorado, the weather changes on a dime without warning. So, true to description, in the middle of running around, the rain begins to fall. With the rain coming down, the rain-sensing windshield wipers begin to wish-wash without me so much as pushing or twisting a thing.

With the daily grind of groceries and errands complete, my daughter and I are off to spend the rest of the day at Grandma and Grandpa's, which means that I have to pack everything into the trunk; the activity mat, stroller, baby bag and scrapbooking supplies. I must say the trunk holds everything very nicely. It's not the easiest to get all of these items out, but they fit.

Since becoming a mom, so much has changed. Driving this car gives me the feeling of being a very classy mom. You have to love that!

*For more information on the Lexus ES330 and its safety features visit Cars.com.

LET'S TALK NUMBERS LATCH Connectors: 2 Seating Capacity (includes driver): 5

IT'S THE LITTLE THINGS THAT COUNT Storage Compartments (Puny, Fair, Ample, Galore): Fair Cargo/Trunk Space (Puny, Fair, Ample, Galore): Ample

SENSE AND STYLE Family Friendly (Not Really, Fair, Great, Excellent): Great Fun-Factor (None, Some, Good Times, Groove-On): Good Times

Consumer reviews

Rating breakdown (out of 5):

  • Comfort 4.9
  • Interior design 4.7
  • Performance 4.6
  • Value for the money 4.8
  • Exterior styling 4.6
  • Reliability 4.9

Most recent consumer reviews

Best bang for your buck. Smooth

I recently upgraded from a 30 year old Toyota Camry to a Lexus ES330. This Lexus is a 2010, this car is smooth. Quiet, handles well, and is an overall great touring car.. no complaints

Show full review

Truly the Pursuit of Excellence

Everyone who knows me, knows that this car was my baby. It was favorite of all the cars in which I have owned. Initially I thought it was a "girl car"(don't kill me ladies, but this is what I was lead to believe at that age), boy was I mistaken. This car is as masculine as it was feminine. Sleek, quick, responsive, stylish and most of all dependable. I made it mine and unique by adding rims, changing the head unit and lights. Never left me on the side of the road; and I was up and down the east coast from Connecticut to Florida, it pushed along. Everyone knew my car from any distance away. You will not be disappointed with this vehicle. But remember, take care of your car and it will take care of you.

Show full review

Best car I've ever owned

Bought my 2005 Lexus new after owning a couple of Lincolns. Best car I've ever owned. Spouse keeps suggesting it's time for a new car but I really love this car. I'm a petite (senior) female & it fits me well & is very comfortable to drive. It doesn't have most of the current gadgets & gizmos but I don't miss them. Other than tires & batteries & routine maintenance I have not had a single issue with this car. Ever. Just had a small rust spot repaired, the first, & we live in an area of snow & salted roads. When I do get a new car it will definitely be another Lexus. But that won't happen until they change that awful looking front grille.

Show full review

See all 83 consumer reviews

1997

Toyota Camry

$16,448

starting MSRP

2003

Pontiac Vibe

$16,485

starting MSRP

2003

Toyota Camry Solara

$19,365

starting MSRP